AI generated resumes: Everything you should know
To find the perfect job, candidates need to work hard, learn new skills, produce the results they need, and know how to write the perfect resume. A professional resume is the first step to getting a dream job. But it’s important how to present it.
Artificial intelligence resume writing tools have become increasingly popular in recent years. Such tools offer a range of benefits that help candidates save time, improve their resume and increase their chances of finding the right job.
In this article, we will take a closer look at all aspects of creating a resume using artificial intelligence.
What is an AI resume?
An AI resume is an enhanced version of a traditional resume. It is essentially an arithmetic average of all the resumes that artificial intelligence has found online. It provides an improved, customized job description that can help increase candidates’ chances in a competitive job market.
But it should be understood that since AI does not know the candidates and their career achievements, it will not be able to adequately describe their professional qualifications and work experience. Artificial intelligence generates all the information automatically, which leads to the creation of a resume that is too generic. Such a resume will fail to impress any recruiter.
Can AI write a resume?
According to a ResumeBuilder.com survey, 46% of 1,000 job seekers use AI to build their resumes and cover letters. Candidates can certainly use AI for resume writing, for example, to create a rough draft that still needs to be edited.
To do this, candidates still need to research the job market for relevant job descriptions and resume examples. It is also important to detail the skills and work experience available to give employers clarity and specificity when selecting suitable candidates for a particular position and salary.
If candidates use AI tools to write resumes and submit them without thorough editing, they may miss employment opportunities.
The benefits of using AI for resume writing
There are many benefits to using AI for resume writing. They can help improve the writing process and submit resumes for hiring.
- Time saving. Building a resume from scratch can be time-consuming. It’s mostly a formal writing style that is often very rarely used. AI resume builder can help do the job for candidates. They need to enter a job description, as well as information about their experience and skills. By saving time on long resume writing, candidates can spend that time networking and building relationships with potential employers.
- Receiving objective feedback. AI-based tools can provide objective feedback about a resume by analyzing its tone, grammar, spelling, and even the appropriateness of the job description. AI can easily identify areas for improvement and editing, which can help to create a more compelling and correct resume.
- Resume updating. One significant benefit of AI is that it helps reduce bias when building and vetting a resume. The program pays attention to candidates’ qualifications rather than their personality traits. This can potentially provide a fairer hiring process. The research found that candidates who used AI to write their resumes received 7.8% more job offers.
Therefore, artificial intelligence-based tools can not only save a lot of time and improve the quality of a resume, but can also significantly increase candidates’ chances of being hired.
The disadvantages of using AI for resume writing
As we have already clarified, using AI for resume writing has some advantages. But don’t lose sight of the fact that it also has some disadvantages that can hinder a successful search for a dream job without unlocking employee performance potential.
- Lack of individualized approach. According to research, 35% of recruiters are worried that AI could exclude candidates with unique skills and experience. AI-based tools don’t know candidates’ career history and skills. In addition, AI doesn’t always understand the nuances of industry vocabulary and terminology. Because of this, resumes may have incorrect job descriptions. These factors have a big impact on getting a resume noticed by job seekers.
- Large number of keywords. Many artificial intelligence-based resume writing tools are sharpened to optimize keywords in the text. AI can add a lot of buzzwords to a resume, but it will have poor content, which can negatively impact job search.
- Possible mistakes. Even though AI tools are getting better every day, they are still capable of making mistakes when creating resumes. When creating a resume, candidates may need several tools to make sure that the grammar is correct and there are no typos in the resume. Artificial intelligence data can contain incorrect information, so after creating a resume, it is important to double-check it to make sure the information listed is correct and true.
Although AI tools benefit job seekers in many ways, candidates should still use them cautiously.
How to spot an AI-generated resume
The ability to identify real candidates from artificial intelligence in today’s world is becoming the initial challenge for HR managers. This is essential for transparency and credibility in candidate recruitment and is also important for candidates in the job search. It is important to learn how to figure out the characteristic traits of resumes that have been created with the help of artificial intelligence-based tools.
- Resumes created by AI-based tools often lack the personality and individuality of authentic documents. To spot this, look for lack of details about the candidate’s accomplishments or experience, blurry resume language, and generic phrases.
- It is worth paying attention to the errors and unusual formatting of such resumes. They often have different fonts, bullet points, spacing, and formatting errors. These are all clear signs of a resume created by AI tools.
- AI tools have difficulty understanding human soft skills. Soft skills such as creativity, adaptability, and emotional intelligence should always be spelled out on a resume. If a resume is focused only on professional skills and has no mention of soft skills, it is most likely a resume written by artificial intelligence.
- It’s also very important to trust your instincts. If a resume says something too perfect to be true, you should look into the truth of such a resume. Real candidates always write personal experiences and their unique stories into their resumes that an AI wouldn’t have been able to replicate while creating the resume.
While AI-based tools can certainly help with many aspects of resume writing, the human element is still indispensable.
Artificial intelligence tools can greatly help you create a resume by providing helpful writing tips. Still, you shouldn’t use them as your sole source for creating the perfect resume. For a resume to lead you to your dream job, and HR managers to truly talented candidates, it requires a lot of unique personalized information and individual language that can show the candidate’s unique experiences and skills.