At some point, employees will want a promotion for various reasons. Some want a promotion to gain a strong sense of pride and accomplishment. Others need a promotion for the pay raise. Meanwhile, others require promotions for career growth.
Whatever the reason, job promotions are one of the ways of satisfying employees at their jobs. However, management is not always so quick in giving promotions. Therefore, sometimes the employee has to give a gentle push.
So how can an employee get noticed enough for a new role without compromising their reputation? While there are guidelines on how to get promoted, employees first need to understand if it is time for the next level.
Unmistakable Signs You are Ready For A Promotion
Drive and desire to do more
Employees ready for promotions consistently go above and beyond in their roles because they desire to accomplish more. These employees do more because they want a higher impact on the company’s results.
No or few challenges in the current position
Employees ready for new opportunities can do their work in their sleep. Tasks come easily, and there are potentially no new challenges for them.
Looking for professional development opportunities
Employees ready for promotions always look for ways to enhance their skill set. They are curious, continually learning, and growing.
A broader view
Employees who think strategically intending to move the organisation forward in the best way possible show an important leadership quality– seeing the bigger picture. They are, therefore, ready for a leadership role.
Team members’ trust
When team members go to a specific employee for help solving challenges, career advice, or training on performing tasks, it shows they are ready for a promotion. It means that the employee is very good at what they do and has created strong relationships with other employees.
Praise from higher-ups
Employees who receive praise from senior staff or management are on the right career path. These employees do their work on a higher level than everyone else, thus attracting the attention of those in seniority.
What Are Some Ways To Get Promoted At Work?
There are multiple ways in which employees can get promoted at work. The easiest is to ask. Sometimes, employees ask for promotions from their managers and get them. Usually, the employer monitors their performance and capabilities before giving the promotion. So, is it possible to get a new job without asking? Yes, it is, and here is how:
Make the superior’s work easier
Employees who want to get promoted must make their superiors’ work easier. It helps management see the employee as dependable and capable. It also reinforces the employee’s dedication to the company.
Develop the right wardrobe
Research shows that 80% of managers believe that wardrobe choices can affect an employee’s job promotion chances. That is why the phrase “dress for the job you want, not the one you have” should be a serious consideration in getting promoted without asking.
Therefore, employees should observe how superiors or others in the department dress, then incorporate a little personality into it for uniqueness.
Focus on growing the organisation
The attitude presented by the employee matters a lot. Managers are not looking for people who are just in it for themselves. They are looking for people who can push the company forward. Employees who want to get promoted at work should focus on their development and the organisation’s.
Be keen on career development
Bosses are not just keen on hard work but growth too. That said, an excellent way to get promoted would be to seek opportunities for career development constantly. Some organisations offer optional courses or classes for various skills.
Employees who take these classes show self-determination, which sits well with managers. In addition, it cultivates confidence that the employee has the necessary skills to execute tasks for a new position.
Portray leadership skills
Taking charge is another way employees can get promoted at work. Employees who act, communicate, and think like leaders before promotions make it easy for employers to see them in managerial or higher-level positions. Employees can look for neglected or minor leadership roles and volunteer to take them on.
Finally, being approachable is a surprising way of getting promoted at work, especially in managerial positions. Employers feel more comfortable putting approachable people in leadership roles to benefit other employees.
Those who build good working relationships with their coworkers demonstrate their likeability, thus adding to the idea that they would be good leaders.
How To Get Noticed For A Promotion At Work
- Own the position– Employees who want to get noticed must own their jobs. Show they can make decisions and overcome challenges without waiting for a manager’s input.
- Go beyond the current role– Employees should apply their skills to support other teams, thus showing they can own their responsibilities while assisting others. But remain keen on burnout.
- Share solutions and ideas– Sharing ideas and solutions (plus pushing for them to be tested) is a good way for employees to earn their manager’s attention for promotion.
- Find ways to generate revenue– Employees who find new ways to make money show they are looking for the company’s future. Such employees are easily recognisable when there’s an open position.
- Be punctual– Punctuality may seem like a small thing, but it makes an impact on employers. It shows that the employee cares enough about the company to work the designated hours.
- Avoid office politics- Employees can be associated with negative dynamics by getting entwined in corporate politics. It is better to remain focused on growth and innovation while encouraging others to do so.
- Help others succeed– Managers notice employees who genuinely desire to help colleagues succeed. It is a sign of self-confidence and collaborative leadership.
- Develop soft skills– Employers value soft skills in employees and tend to take notice. Employers looking to get noticed should display soft skills like emotional intelligence and effective communication.
How to Convince the Boss of a Deserved Promotion
Key performance indicators are the basis of progress at work. Employers use them to evaluate performance and, indirectly, qualifications or a promotion. Employees can use them to convince the boss of a deserved promotion.
Managers want to promote people who are confident in what they can do. Thus employees need to take pride in their current job and accomplishments.
Highlight how advancement would help the company
Employees should remember that promotion is not just about earning more money or achieving career goals. It is also about how it will bring value to the company.
Ask at the right time
Some occasions are better than others in convincing a boss of a deserved promotion. Employees should ask at the right time, such as during performance reviews or when achieving a significant milestone at work.
How To Increase Your Chances Of Getting A Promotion
- Show a driven and passionate work ethic– Employees should demonstrate their passion for work. And not just working hard but also displaying soft skills and team player capabilities.
- Ask for feedback from superiors- Employers can learn what they need to do to earn a promotion by asking for regular feedback from managers. Constructive feedback helps create strategies to accomplish enough to earn new responsibilities.
- Show problem-solving capabilities– And finally, employees should display problem-solving abilities to show managers they are equipped to weather any storms that may come.
Employees do not have to ask to get a promotion. They must be diligent at work, easy to recognise, and dedicated to the company’s goals.
If you want to learn more about career advancement, keep a lookout for Workpay’s helpful blog entries. We also offer valuable solutions to employers such as HR, payroll, and EOR services. Reach out today!